November 16, 2013

To Resist?


Resistance may try to detour me....but I am on red alert.
 I am kicking my own ass by reading The War of Art.
I originally got the book as a gift from another author and read it several years ago. When a friend recommended it to me again last week, I took that as a sign and scoured until I found the copy and set it at the top of my bedside table heap.
Two nights ago I couldn’t sleep, stressing about the things I needed to do but would be too tired to do if I didn’t get to sleep. That is a handy little worry cycle, guaranteed to keep you awake. I decided to make use of my quiet time, so I turned the light on and read.
This book is intended for artists, or people who work in a craft that involves creativity and being somewhat of your own boss, but it applies to everyone who has ever procrastinated or plodded along. Typically creative people are usually not clock-slaves or list-makers, so the idea of enforcing goals and deadlines can be somewhat daunting. I’m pretty sure my brain fires equally right and left, yet I sometimes struggle with keeping my own office hours. Especially when I’m between big projects and actually need the diligence and discipline to focus and find my next path.
The author talks about Resistance, even capitalizes it, as the force that stops us from doing the very thing we need to do. Whether that means create, or something else, we are blocked by things like laziness, inertia, and fear. I totally get that! There is something real and formidable blocking us from doing the very things that would bless us.
Think about it. A new running goal, fitness goal, health goal, professional goal, relational goal, family goal, financial goal, time management goal, career goal, spiritual or intellectual growth goal – whatever it is, initially we may have trouble getting our plan off the ground. Or once we get moving, we may come up against Resistance again, precisely when we need the endurance to keep going. And we may face it yet again, when we are within site of the finish line – close enough to see the fruit of our effort or experience the realization of our pursuit – and we sputter out, wander off, or quit entirely.
 No matter who is watching or paying the paycheck, we are ultimately each our own boss. We choose whether we are going to make it happen or going through the motions. We know whether the pilot light of our passion is on or off. We know if we are succumbing to Resistance, or resisting the pull of mediocrity and rationalization. We know if we are engaged or disengaged, proactive or reactive, playing around or playing for keeps.

3 comments:

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

So true..
And the older I get I see it more and more in my age set.. giving up.

But I have found that great things in life don't come easy. The older you are the effort increases from a physical standpoint but decreases from a mental standpoint. Six IMs on six continents has already been completed in my brain... 20 years ago I would have mentally thought "no way".

Holly Fraccaro said...

Well said!

Rachel McLaughlin Stephenson said...

Love it ! Another good read along the same lines is Time and the Art of Living.